STEM Jobs Act of 2012
Rule Hearing Information:
For more on this hearing, click here.
- Text of H.R. 6429 — STEM Jobs Act of 2012 [Rules Committee Print 112-34, showing the text of the bill as introduced with modifications] [PDF][XML]
:: Summary of modifications contained in RCP 112-34
(as provided by the Committee on the Judiciary) [PDF]
:: Text of H.R. 6156 (as introduced in House) [PDF][XML]
- Hearing Documents:
:: Rule [PDF]
:: H. Res. 821 [PDF][XML]
:: H. Rept. 112-697 [PDF][XML]
Last Updated: 11/28/2012 at 5:45 PM
|#1||Version 1||Jackson Lee (TX)||Democrat||Would strike section 3 to protect the Diversity Immigration Visa Program.||Submitted|
|#2||Version 1||Jackson Lee (TX)||Democrat||Would authorize Congress or the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security to reallocate unused STEM visas to other classes of immigrant visas, while protecting the Diversity Immigration Visa program and adding an additional 55,000 visas to the STEM program.||Submitted|
|#4||Version 1||Lofgren (CA)||Democrat||SUBSTITUTE Would strike everything after the enacting clause and inserts the text of H.R. 2161, the Immigration Driving Entrepreneurship in America Act of 2012 or the IDEA Act of 2012.||Submitted|
|#5||Version 1||Lofgren (CA)||Democrat||SUBSTITUTE Would strike everything after the enacting clause and inserts the text of H.R. 6412, the Attracting the Best and Brightest Act of 2012.||Submitted|
|#6||Version 1||Owens (NY)||Democrat||Would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to include within the H-2A nonimmigrant visa category (temporary agricultural workers) an alien coming temporarily to the United States to work as a sheepherder, goat herder, or dairy worker. Would provide for a three-year initial period of admission with additional three-year extensions.||Submitted|
|#3||Version 1||Polis (CO)||Democrat||Would create a “Start-up Visa” for entrepreneurs and update the EB-5 visa system to help create American jobs by encouraging investment in U.S. companies.||Submitted|
|#7||Version 1||Smith, Lamar (TX)||Republican||Manager's Amendment Would change effective date of bill to FY14; would extend by one year certain fees and premiums included in title IV of Pub. L. 112-78, the Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Continuation Act of 2011.||Considered As Adopted|
Rule Information for H.R. 6429
REPORTED BY RECORD VOTE of 7-3 on Wednesday, November 28, 2012.
FLOOR ACTION ON H. RES. 821:
Adopted by record vote of 243-170 on Thursday, November 29, 2012.
1. Closed rule.
2. Provides 90 minutes of debate equally divided and controlled by the chair and ranking minority member of the Committee on the Judiciary.
3. Waives all points of order against consideration of the bill.
4. Provides that an amendment in the nature of a substitute consisting of the text of the Rules Committee Print 112-34, as modified by the amendment printed in the rules Committee report, shall be considered as adopted.
5. The bill, as amended, shall be considered as read.
6. Waives all points of order against provisions in the bill, as amended.
7. Provides one motion to recommit with or without instructions.
8. Provides that it shall be in order at any time on the legislative day of December 6, 2012, for the Speaker to entertain motions that the House suspend the rules.
Summary of Amendment Considered as Adopted:
(summaries derived from information provided by sponsors)
MANAGERS AMENDMENT Would change effective date of bill to FY14; would extend by one year certain fees and premiums included in title IV of Pub. L. 112-78, the Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Continuation Act of 2011.